Can you believe this? I am (finally) actually posting about the dream vacation that Golden and I took to (stare off into the distance and sigh) Hawaii. You know, when God created the world, I bet he used his spirits as workers. I bet he had teams of spirits on different crews constructing different places and stuff. And if that is the case; I hope I was team Hawaii. Because I love it there. I love the clear blue oceans. I love the way the air feels on your skin. I love the way the trees have these viney hang-down things on them. I love the flowers. I love the beaches. And, I really, really, really love snorkeling. When you look down into the water, you see a whole new secret world that is filled with color, life, industry and most of all, beauty. I love Hawaii. (Did I mention that I love Hawaii?)
Warning: You are about to enter into a blow-by-blow of our week. This will not be for the feint of heart, as it does include disturbing sequences including, but not limited to, a thirty-something chick with really white skin in a bathing suit, a roll-over car accident, the stomach flu, broken arms, and crazy shopping. (did I get your attention?)
Ok... Back up. The day before my vacation was my birthday. (happy birthday to ME!) and because I have the best friends in the entire world, I was tricked into thinking that my hubby was taking me shopping. As we went out the door, I was shanghaid (i really don't think that's how you spell that..) off to Paparazzi (does anyone know if they have a website?) When we got there, I noticed that Maridee had a sleeping bag. Yup. That's right. We had a Surprise Slumber party (happy, happy birthday to me!) and my Alisha came down!!! We played beauty parlor, went out to dinner, and did girl stuff All night long. Literally.
The next day was spent finsihing up packing. boring.
The flight was long. That was not me complaining because do you know what I did? I READ A BOOK!! Actually, I read two. Hunger games 1 and 2 (just finished three last night. I liked it. Lots of people were disappointed, but I thought it ended.... right, I guess. I didn't expect happily ever after.)
Real vacation:
Day one: Waking up and renting snorkel gear from Snorkel Bob. Oh, BTW we stayed on Oahu on Waikiki beach at the Outrigger. Heading over to Waiamia bay. Snorkeling (can you hear the ocean?) My favorite fishy is this beautiful angel fish that has this extra long dorsal fin that waves in the water behind her. When you are in Wiamia (I don't know how to spell all those Hawaiian names), you are right on top of the coral and all the creatures are living inside it. If you aren't careful, you bump your knees on it (and just so you know, it will make you bleed. Better hope there are no sharks!)
Blowhole. Yummy lychee and coconut ice cream. Drive around the Island to see the sights. stop on the side of the road to examine trees. Steve swinging like Tarzan on a vine. (Cool) Going to the grocery store to buy some steaks and stuff for dinner. CRASHING THE RENTAL CAR as we enter the parking lot. Here's what happened: We go to change lanes. other driver tries to zoom around us. Other driver's tire drives up our tire and HER CAR ROLLS OVER! Everyone was fine, but it did cost us a few hours of vacation. And we didn't get a nap. But we did grill our steaks and they were yummy. Then I got sick, ran to the room, and literally got sick. Golden cleaned it up. Poor Golden. He must really, really love me. by the way, a rough day in Hawaii is still better than an easy one any where else.
Day two: I (thankfully) woke up fine. We hike to a beautiful waterfall. The foliage there is so dense and varied. All the plants have sheen to them and they grow huge. the flowers are fragrant and unreal they are so pretty. It rained on us on the hike, but the rain isn't the same as a desert thunderstorm. It's soft and warm and not threatening. We walk up and down Waikiki and stop at the international market for a "plate lunch" Hang out on Waikiki (which is too crowded) while the guys try to boogie board (but there aren't enough waves). the town sets up a Hula show right where Pam and I are taking a nap! That was a fun surprise :) Head back and munch on something, but I can't remember what.
Day Three: Pearl harbor. This was on Golden and my "must" list. I love my country, and I appreciate so much the men and women of the Armed Forces. But still, I was surprised how emotional I was. (I couldn't stop crying. I was so embarassed. None was emotional as I was!!) But I was just so touched at the spirit there. I really feel like it is a holy place. They have you turn your phones off while you visit the memorial. When we returned, I turned my phone back on and found that my dad had texted me: "call as soon as you can. Everything will be ok." and I think "what do you mean everything will be ok...." Apparantly, Gage broke his arm. And this happened because GIRLS were chasing him at school.(sigh. what do I do with this little Casanova?) poor little guy. And poor mama who was already overly emotional. And poor Grandpa who is in the middle of these crazy people!! Gage really was ok though. He's tough.
After Pearl Harbor we went to the swap meet for souvenirs. and I got one of THESE. Had my eye on them the whole trip! Still haven't worn it though. but I do love it!! The shopping was Golden's favorite thing- NOT!
Day Four was perfect.Beach hopping on the north shore. Jumping off rocks (Golden has a loud voice. The exhiliration of the even brought that out.) I didn't jump. That is normally something I would do, but with the car accident and the broken arm and the stomach flu, I was't feeling like I wanted to press my luck. So i took pictures!! Swimming with Sea turtles. (That's right I did say Sea Turtles!) Shave Ice at Matzumotos ( yes, it is really called "Shave" Ice not "Shaved" Ice and it had beans in it. And it was yummy.) Collecting sea shells. Dinner At Jamisons. Sunset on sunset beach. Perfection.
Day Five: Really nice breakfast buffet with lots of fruit that was my special request. Dole plantation for the Dole whip. Polynesian Cultural Center. Expensive, but worth every cent. We had the Luau and paid extra for good seats to the show. One of the entertainers was a friend of a guy that Golden works with. He was a performer, but also an artist who paints beautiful pictures. We took a backstage tour and it was fun to see a map where they had placed pins where members of the cast had either gone on missions or recieved calls. the Show was amazing, beautiful, inspiring, and entertaining. A great way to end our vacation.
This trip was a dream come true. Golden made it happen. I am so lucky. Thanks Hubs.I love you. and thanks, Heavenly Father, for making Hawaii for me.
Vroom!
10 years ago

6 comments:
ummm I love you! I am so jealous!! WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??????
Hawaii.. How fun. I am jealous, not of the sickness, car accident, or broken arms but getting away with only the hubs and going to HAWAII. Lucky.
Jealous about sums it up! LOL I was so excited to see that you posted about Hawaii. Then I opened it and NO pictures! I want to see pictures!!!!!!
I was happy you got to have one of your dreams come true.
So jealous too! Maybe for our fifteen anniversary...we keep saying when we loose some weight. You would think that would be motivation enough...right?
Happy Happy day.That is great that you were able to visit such a beautiful place. I think you were on Team angel: design Hawaii. Visiting Pearl Harbor is such a surreal experience. I can't really describe the feeling that I had when I was there. It is such somber feeling. Sunsets in Hawaii are amazing. It is has if the Water puts out the Sun, since it just sinks right into it. Yes, please post pics when you can. I would love to see them.
Post a Comment