Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tis the season to be hungry!










My kids have come up with a great way to earn money for Christmas. For the past few weeks they have been baking cookies and selling them door to door. I think it's a great idea, not only are they earning money, but they are learning people skills, money management, making change, paying tithing, learning how to make cookies, and not begging to watch TV all day to boot! This week they made Soft Ginger Cookies (they are soooo good!) and I just want to say thanks to all the people who have purchased their cookies and supported them in their little project. Thanks so much!




While we are on the subject of food, does anybody else ever get in a dinner rut? It feels like we are always eating the same things at our house, so I am doing something to try to get out of it. I am doing a recipe tag. I am going to post something that our family eats on a regular basis and I want everyone else to do the same.




This is a recipe for meatballs and rice. This is Golden's grandmother's recipe, and when I make this, everyone is happy. Hope you like it!




Meatballs in creamy sauce

1 lb. Ground beef

2t. prepared mustard

1t. salt

1\4 t. pepper.

2 slices bread, cut up

1\4 c. milk
1 small onion, finely chopped

1 egg

Mix together bread and milk. Add other ingredients and mix together. Shape mixture into balls and brown in 1\4 cup butter or margarine. Remove from pan. and 1/4 cup flour and cook a few minutes. Add 2 cups water with one bullion cube dissolved in it. Stir and bring to a boil.

Add:

3 T. ketchup

1/4 c. canned milk

1/2 t. salt

1/8 t. pepper

Stir into gravy mixture. Add meatballs and simmer 20 minutes. Serve over buttered rice.






Please, please please help me by posting a good recipe on your blog!!!!!






Also, speaking more about food, this Monday was Brandi's B-Day. We had a surprise luncheon for her, and it was really fun! We had baked salmon, wild rice, green salad, and chocolate instead of cake. Anyone who knows Brandi understands that. I just have to say how lucky to have such a good friend in my life. Brandi is sweet, fun, funny, understanding, hardworking, dedicated, beautiful, thrifty, strong, a good mom, talented, supportive, smart, and good. Those are just a few of her admirable qualities and I just feel so blessed to have a great pal like her. Sorry, Brandi, I know that probably embarassed you! (because folks, she is also humble.)






And lastly, speaking about food, we had a FHE with Golden's fam earlier this week. For treats, we made nutter butter turkeys. They were kinda hard to make, but cute! Chayse's turned out really well.



13 comments:

Stefanie said...

Wait, I got lost right here.
"Remove from pan. and 1/4 cup flour and cook a few minutes."
Am I adding the flour to something? And if so, what? Sorry you have to spell things out for us slow ones. :)
P.S. I just noticed that you won the drawing on just2kraftygirls! Congratulations!

Kendra said...

remove the meatballs from the pan. Add the flour to the drippings (like a roux) Does that clarify? Sorry, i just copied from Golden's Grandma and she doesn't use recipes.

keri said...

I want the recipe to the cookies. Chris ate all the ones we bought and wouldn't share. I think it is a great idea to do the recipe thing.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you hello and that I found your blog on Maridee's. Yours is so cute and We loved the meatballs.I am going to add you to my friends list is that ok?

The Johnson's said...

I love the meatball and rice recipe too. I also think that your kids cookie business is cute and yummy.

Tiffanie said...

What a great fun filled blog! I loved all of it. So, good job, and those cookies look tasty!

rayndrop said...

I like your recipe idea. My cousin just sent me an email for a recipe swap if you're interested. I think I'm going to try adding some of our family recipes onto our blog as well. When I do, I'll link to this post!

The Clarks said...

Too bad we live far away from each other because I would totally buy tasty cookies from your adorable kids! What a great idea to get them out and about with something productive.

Also, Audrey saw your comment on my blog and posted her email (audgey_05@yahoo.com.) and I also informed Stephanie about you wanting to join the cool kids so you should be hearing from her :)

Also, Stephanie has a cooking blog that might be helpful for new ideas. She posts tons of pictures and they always look fabulous!

http://stephaniemaagskitchen.blogspot.com/

Heather Ballard said...

Those cookies look so good and your hair looks absolutley gorgeous. Also, I love your new shoes.

Angela Harman said...

your posts are very intertaining - i especially love the fortunes - thats great!

Becky said...

so much to say and so little time! Brandi is an awesome friend and I'm glad that you guys have each other. Second, the soft ginger bread cookies look YUMMY as does the baby sitting on the counter with the cookies. Lacie is so cute in her piggies, and lastly, I must testify if the yumminess of the meatballs, we LOVE that recipe!

Ross B said...

Ok, I posted an easy to do recipe on my blog. :-) Hope you guys are doing well. Let Golden know I'll be in town this next week.

Ross

Jena said...

It's shameful how long it's been since I've been blogging :)

We LOVE shepherd's pie:
Brown 2 lbs of turkey burger, drain. Place in 9x13
Cook veggies (we love carrots, peas, corn and green bean mix. We also love just plain green beans (frozen from Sam's Club)
Add a layer of mashed potatoes (instant mashers work well too, just add less butter)
Spread 1 can of cream of mushroom soup on potatoes
Sprinkle with cheddar or pepperjack cheese
Bake on 375 until cheese is melted.

Makes amazing leftovers, too. Probably you already eat this though :)
I'll post some more sometime :)