I really didn't accomplish anything today. I kept my kids home from school with light coughs and runny noses. They probably could have gone, but I thought they oughtta be home "just in case" it was the real thing. Nobody got their hair combed, and I cancelled my biolife appointment because I didn' t (and shouldn't) want to take sick kids. We finally got tired of TV and ran to the store for a few things so that we could make halloween sugar cookies. We killed time wandering the toy isles and making wish lists. We stopped for a very late lunch at Dairy Queen where we had blizzards and French Fries. We came home and the kids and I baked cookies together. There were eggs dropped on the floor and an entire box of baking soda dumped on the counter. Every surface in the kitchen is covered with something sticky, powdery, or sweet. As I walked into the computer I noticed a big blob of cookie dough on the bathroom counter. And I'm leaving it that way until tomorrow.
I could feel like a failure as a mother right now.... "Sluffing" school, ignoring grooming, zero nutrition meals, dirty (and I mean really dirty) house... but I don't. Sometimes it's ok to let go. To skip the hard things and just focus on being together. Today I gave myself a permission slip to do that. I skipped dishes and laundry and the vaccuum, and you know what?
I made memories with my children.
Write yourself a permission slip today to do something that you wouldn't normally do. I promise, it will be fabulous.
Vroom!
9 years ago

9 comments:
I love this. Thanks Kendra. It is really hard for me sometimes to let things go but when I do It is SO worth it. I love this post.
sounds like a great day. (as a mom who is tired of other moms sending sick kids to school/church I appreciate moms like you) I love that you were able to enjoy your hookie day as well.
That was so great! I love you... that really is such a great lesson. You are such a great mom and I'm sure your kids will always remember this day.
Ohhh' Kendra.... K- for starters on your post right back at you with ROFL! The ending of your post so true heart felt and sweet. Love this post!
What a great reminder to not worry about the "small stuff" and instead worry about your "small ones". What fun memories!
Remember when I "made" you sluff school so we could go pick cherries? You are a 1st rate Mom!
You are a cool mom! I saw your kids making cookies with you and they were in heaven.
It does help when there is no husband coming home. lol I don't think Shane would take my permission slip. Will make up one for me? lol
Kendra, don't you dare EVER let anyone EVER tell you your not a great mom. You are fabulous and amazing. If my kids turn out half as good as yours I will have considered myself a success! And when you look back over the years, this is the day your going to remember. Not all the days when Everything was perfect, or when the kids got to school.
And that's what life is all about.
how come you are so darn adorable? I love your advice...
Post a Comment