Saturday, February 20, 2010

Maybe I'm Crazy, but....



At the end of last year, Maridee and I decided to start a new project. She had heard of a lady who spent one huge day a month cooking dinners for the whole rest of the month and then storing the dinners in the freezer. She decided she wanted to try it and I came along for the very exciting ride. We've done this for four months now and I think I'm a convert. We start first thing in the morning and go until its time for bed. The whole thing looks like This:



But it also looks like this:




A few people have mentioned that they are interested in this whole project so I thought I'd add a little useful info.
#1 You can get cheap lasagne pans at the Dollar Tree. I don't re-use them because I am Lazy.
#2 Potatoes are tricky to freeze. We made stew once. I now call that st- eeew.
#3 If you are freezing Asian Dishes, freeze the sauce seperate from the stir-fry and add the sauce after the meal is re-heated.
#4 Pasta will get a little softer when frozen. Undercook your noodles a little.
#5 Don't mop your floor or clean your stove top before.
#6 If you are going to do this with a buddy, make sure that it's someone who eats similarly to your family.

I am also posting this month's menu just so you can get an idea of the fun things we can make. We do 16 dinners (for this reason: We both tend to not cook on the weekends and we plan to use up our leftovers once a week. four weeks x four dinners =16.) We also freeze a few breakfast items like breakfast burritos, egg sandwiches made from mini bagels and muffins. This month we made pizzas. We just ate one and it was good.
Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here it goes.

February List
Dinners:
1. Fajitas
2. Teriyaki Chicken and rice
3. Cheddar Chicken
5. Tater tot Casserole
6. Orange Beef and rice
7. Beef Taco Bake
8. Chicken Enchiladas
9. Spaghetti and Meatballs, breadsticks
10. Fettuccini Alfredo, breadsticks
11. Chicken Scaloppini, breadsticks
12. sloppy joes
13. Pulled Pork Sandwiches
14. Broccoli Cheese Soup, cornbread
15. Ham Fried Rice w/ egg rolls
16. homemade macaroni and cheese

Breakfast
1. Breakfast burritos
2. Bagel sandwiches
3. Muffins

Pizza

Anyway, this new way of cooking has been really good for my family. I have more time in the evenings to spend with my kids. We are trying new things. We use what we have and what's on sale and so it saves our family a lot of money. We have our own "fast food" that is a lot more nutritious. And I get to spend more time with my sister Maridee. So that's it. Maybe it's crazy, but it works for me!!

11 comments:

Alisha said...

You are brilliant, awsome and i wish I had half your energy.one day Maby.

The Johnson's said...

DEATH FOR POSTING THAT AWFUL PICTURE!

Tiffanie said...

I absolutely love this idea! With Z and I working as much as we do we tend to eat out A LOT!!!!! due to complete exhaustion at night. I might have to start doing this... you are so smart my beautiful and amazing cousin... yes you are!

keri said...

I am so coming over for your recipes. I need and want to start doing this. Your awesome.

Jen said...

That is such a cool system! So I looked at my Bernina feet, and the one I was thinking of is actually a pintucking foot. I'm sorry, I really thought it was a gathering foot. Now I am coveting one, too!

Let me know if you are interested in hosting bountiful baskets or anything.

Shane and Brandi said...

You are crazy, but even crazy people have a few good ideas. This is one of them! LOL

Unknown said...

Hi Kendra~

Was it you that left me the comment on my craft blog about the FHE board? if so email me at jenglamgirl@gmail.com.. I will give you more info. ;)

p.s. I CLICKED on your name and it didn't take me anywhere.. so that is why I am asking if it was you?

The Johnson's said...

Thanks for taking the photo off. I am glad my idol threats still work on some people. When I threaten death to my kids they just give me a blank stare and say What?????

BJ said...

I want to see the picture. And I am sorry I forgot all about the gathering foot.

The Clarks said...

I have been wanting to do this kind of thing forever! can I get a copy of your recipes?

Snowwhite said...

We did this with our ward for a few months, trading off. (Now it has kind of died.) Too bad I didn't get recipe ideas from you at the time. It is a nice thing to not have to cook some nights.