Thursday, July 15, 2010

Oh, what do you do in the summertime?

Do you ever get so far behind that you're kind of embarrassed to try and catch up? (either that or it could be that I am too LAZY to catch up...) but the piper must be paid (is that a real cliche' or did I get it wrong?) This summer has been eventful, fun, exciting, happy and...BUSY! I had double graduates this year; Lincoln graduated from elementary school and Gage from Kindergarten. I guess that I should feel old to have a NON-ELEMENTARY school age child, or to have one of my babies graduating from kindergarten... but I'm mostly just excited for all of it. (now all those gray hairs that i went to war with this morning... those made me feel old.) It's fun to see them growing and changing.









Young Women's camp was also earlier this summer. I enjoy my girls so much. It's kinda crazy how you can enjoy somebody elses children so immensely. I blogged earlier about having the opportunity to fellowship some girls taking the discussions, and to update on that, one girl has been baptized, one will be tomorrow,and one has a date for later this month. The Gospel is True. (hallelujia!!!) We had an awesome set of leaders for camp, and I had so much fun spending time with the leaders there. (at this point, I will add to any of those leaders reading this post, a disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any comments, questions, or opinions posted at any point past say... one in the morning. I mean it.) We had tons of spiritual experiences, laughter, and REALLY good food. Some highlights were The "iron rod"experience, testimony meeting, the Zipline (and I still say that was a pretty liberal use of the word trail... Somebody could get lost and hike for like an hour looking for the zipline.... Just like Br.ianna and me.) , Giggling like a girl with 7 leaders squished in a tent, and a testimony meeting that was touching and sweet despite of pouring rain.

y









Summer fun includes water, and our little fam loves the river as relief from the heat. Brandi introduced us to a new spot that is completely shady, with sand for the little ones and a rope swing for everyone.

At our house, June means birthdays. Link turned 11 (yikes), and his dad took him and 6 other 11 year olds camping (give the man a medal) unfortunately, there were a lot of boys, but no camera there.
Shaunie turned nine, and had a flip-flop theme birthday party. She had hawiian haystacks, german cake, and decorated flip flops (the girls loved this activity and were actually pretty good at it!)

Lincoln and Shaunie share a birthday and they both share a birthday with another friend, which is really fun!
Gage celebrated his birthday a little later.
He had a dragon themed party, and I made him a (very cool, and I'm totally pleased with my cleverness) Dragon birthday cake. The older two did a treasure hunt (man. am I grateful for older kids!!!)
Golden built a super awesome box for his birthday gift.
I blindfolded Gage and hauled him all around the neighborhood looking for his birthday present. It was so fun!!
After Birthdays was another reason to celebrate: my little brother got Married :) (ps not the brother that just came home from his mission. Different brother.) And to someone that our whole family adores. Welcome to our family, Amber! Zach you are one lucky Duck! Their wedding reception was beautiful and had an Asian-inspired theme. I made the little girls' dresses and my sis made the little boys' ties (I love, love, love to sew!)













The biggest event of our big summer was our big family vacation to the biggest national park in the country. But that will be it's own BIG post!
THE END

11 comments:

keri said...

Your summer has been fun and busy. I LOVE the girls dresses. I saw them at church on Sunday. They are darling. You did a great job. Love the dragon cake. Man your good at everything. We enjoy that same spot on the river. Looked like lots of fun.

The Johnson's said...

WOW! I hope that we can see you guys for a minute this summer. We do miss you guys. I am glad that you have had so much fun.

Bonita said...

The was the most amazing blog post that I have read all day!! WOWZERS! I think you have had enough birthday parties for a little while though..that would WIPE me out! Cute cute pictures!!!

Alisha said...

Oh you have been soooo busy..... no wonder you havent had any time for me. j/k the dresses turned out so cute. I love them. and girls camp looked awaome. i loved getting to be a leader for girlscamp the one year I got to. it was so much fun. i miss you tonz and brandy is planning on coming up next month r u coming to?

Rheanna Bristol said...

Kendra!!! How wonderful to catch up on your blog! I love it! The picture of your mom when she sees her son for the first time in two years made me cry! That was so sweet.
I am glad you enjoyed girls camp. I am the Mia Maid advisor too and got to go this year. Super fun! There is no other feeling like girls camp. I hope I always get to go.
I am glad all is well, sorry for the long comment! I loved your posts!

Unknown said...

Holy Moly! You have been one busy mama and lady. ALL THOSE BIRTHDAYS WOW! Aug 1st. starts my whirl wind of birthdays and holidays and it doesn't stop until this time next year ha! Love the dragon cake and the girls dresses!!! Have a great weekend, Jenn

Becky Seymour said...

No wonder you haven't posted...holy busy. Seriously, when I get a new sewing machine, you have to help me. I am dying to really do it. I try and my machine bums out and yada yada.....i love your talent. Maybe I will just pay you to do it for me....ewww I like it! But, seriously. Tell me your next project, and I will do everything I can to try it!

Paulette said...

Wow, you have been busy! Actually, I think the word "busy" would be an understatement in your case.:) I loved the pictures! Girls camp rocked, the dresses for the reception turned out so cute, and I loved the dragon cake! I'm going to miss being Gage's teacher. What a great kid!!:)

Shane and Brandi said...

Holy cow that was a huge post! I can't believe I missed it. My favorite picture was the last one of Zach Amber and all the kids. No wonder I haven't really seen you this summer. lol

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you actually had time to squeez in our wedding. You are my schedule hero! Thanks for "raising" such a good little brother for me. I have one amazing husband! and an amazing new family which i am proud to be a part of!!

Amber S said...

sorry, that last comment was me, amber smith, but for some reason it didn't want to claim me... grrr oh well.