Sunday, October 23, 2011

Meat... One way or another.

I have fallen off the face of the earth.  I was abducted by aliens.  I have been plagued by a horrible case of malignant writers block.  Actually, none of those things are true, I've just been more than a little lazy.  And there has been so much going on that I should be keeping track of!!  Soo, I am going to post weekly now.  There I said it.  Committed to all cyberspace.  And I could be taken to cyber-jail for lying. And with each post, I will be keeping up with the Johnsons, and going back with a little bit of Family History.SO. Here goes:

For the Johnson family, October means deer hunt.  Golden loves the hunt and gets so excited he can hardly sleep because of it.  This year we were all so excited to get off that we forgot a few things.  Not such a big deal since we were only going overnight (except Golden... gone till he gets the big one!) EXCEPT one of the things was SHOES for Lacie.  Not just extra shoes, or "in case one pair gets wet" shoes.. Keep my feet warm, dry, and protected from stuff shoes.  SO..... I made shoes.   With duct tape and cardboard.  She thought they were ugly. But I think they're kinda cool..  or maybe I think I'm kinda cool cuz I made them. At any rate, we also left my bag, Lacies bag, and the scotcheroos. (peanut butter rice kryspie treats with chocolate butterscotch topping.  They're tradition.  And I did fail.  Now we have many, many at our house.  Come see me and I'll let you try 'em) But all in all, everything turned out great. 



 Shaunie has learned to handle the 4 wheeler all by her little ole self and (in missing her big-girl cousin Ashton, whose family we sorely missed this year) busied herself hauling little ones around the mountain trails.  She is getting old.  Which makes me feel old.  Sigh.

See this?  had to add it for the sheer cuteness factor.  Brings this blog post into cuteness overload, doesn't it? No pics of Golden, who hikes the hills till dark, and none of Lincoln, who had the excruciating decision to make ... Scout camp... Deer camp... Scouts won, but it was a photo finish! And... he missed the best dutch oven chicken I have ever had.  And that isn't an exaggeration. 

K.. Family History.  Since Lincoln wasn't at deer camp, I want to share a little history on him.  This year, Lincoln showed a steer in the 4-H Junior Livestock Show.  It was fun.  And Good for him.  His steer was named Jeffery.  And he was an enormous beast that quite possibly could have smooshed my kid if my kid wasn't so awesome and bossed that animal all around. It took months of working with that great beast to make him listen to him, and Lincoln and Golden came home with poop on them more than once, but poop and hard work build character.  The steer's name was Jeffery.  Lincoln liked Jeffery, and was sad to see him go.  The check he got in the mail made him less-sad. All-in-all, Lincoln stepped it up on the ladder of maturity,  and Golden now needs a dog because he can't lead the cow on a leash anymore.

4 comments:

Rheanna Bristol said...

I love the shoes! So innovative! The treats sound great too, now I am curiously thinking about them!

keri said...

Yeah your back. Awesome shoes Lacy.

The Calico Crew said...

Welcome Back, Kendra. Although, I'm really finding it hard to believe that you're going to post weekly. You are a BUSY woman!! I think the duct tape shoes were fabulous and wondered if you were going to teach us how to do them before I move? Ingenious!

Amy said...

I miss deer camp...You can send me some scotcheroos if you would like. I love 'em but never make them for obvious reasons (I would eat them all!). I think you need a dog too. And, I am very glad that you finally posted as well. I have been missing my family.