Ok. My camera isn't working (it's only a battery issue, but since it it's Sunday there's nothing I can do about it) so I can't post the two weeks worth of pics that I've been storing up, but I do have an opinion that I am going to share, and I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority about it. I don't like the Twilight series. They are a good read, but I hate everything it teaches. I hate that Bella can't be anything unless she has Edward. How can she be everything to him when she is nothing without him? She's also a big whiner. I am also a little concerned with all the young girls hooked on it. They were kind of racy (book four especially made me blush) At least they are married before anything... well, you know. But Bella needs to get some morals! And I hate that Bella is willing to give up everything for some boy that she barely knows, even if she really does love him! I feel like it sets some huge standard for what love is supposed to be like, and I guess that I am mostly worried about what it teaches my Young Women. I love them all so much (I seriously have the best girls in the whole church) and so I worry about them. I just don't like the message that those books send about love, and I think that it sets up unreasonal expectations for romance. Loving someone else doesn't make you lose yourself. When you truly love someone with the forever kind of love, it makes you want to be a better person. It makes you strong and confident in yourself. Bella is constantly thinking about how she isn't worthy of Edward and she goes to pieces when he isn't there.
That said, I do have to admit that I couldn't put the book down and I stayed up until 2:00 in the morning reading last night. ;}
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
BRAVO BRAVO!!!! Excellent post!
And happy belated birthday! I hope it was a good one. :-)
Hey...I just found a link to your page from Trina's. I am so excited you have a blog. I just love this way of keeping up with all of our old friends and family that we just don't have the time or means to see much (or at all).
I would love to invite you to my blog (I've gone private), so if you'd like to read mine, just send me your email address and I'll send you an invite. You will have to send it to Wade's junk mail as it is the only one I like to post on the web. It is chickenlittlefinger2@hotmail.com
I know a funky address, but what can I say, I have a funky husband.
Last of all I wanted to say my heart goes out to you and the rest of the Johnson family. I only knew Mandy as a cute little girl, but she was so cute, and I am saddened at the loss of such a sweetheart in this world.
Kendra, I couldn't agree more. You have to read them, but I was left feeling the same way as you did. I definitely wouldn't want my teenage daughter reading them. I wonder if the author being LDS and targeting the LDS audience makes me even more upset about the content.
I wouldn't let my teenagers read the books, but I love them :) I think they are good. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I have not read the books. but yesterday i had this same conversation with a friend that was torn about the message they send to teenage girls. SHe works in a youth lockdown facility and says we need to send the message to young girls to be strong on their own. So kudos to you Kendra for speaking up. I won't waste my time with books that waste my mind.
Post a Comment